Textbook Reflections: 1-5
Chapter 1: Why do we share literature with children?
1)
It is fun!
§
We share our passions with others, and make time
to read within our busy lives.
§
Opening a book is equivalent to opening a
present!
§
Book covers entice us to read them!
§
If we enjoy a book and read it enthusiastically,
our audience shares in the enjoyment.
2)
It aides in language acquisition and development!
§
A student is exposed to more words, the more
time they spend reading.
§
If a student reads twenty minutes a day, it
amounts to 1,800,000 words per year and in the 90th percentile for standardized
tests!
§
Students accumulate the most growth in vocabulary
between birth and 5 years old.
§
Children add new words into their everyday vocabulary
based on the books they are exposed to you.
3)
It helps develop empathy within children!
§
We can develop strong, empathetic bonds with
books.
§
When we develop empathetic bonds, we are
becoming better people in society.
§
Studies show that reading fictional stories
leads to a more empathetic person.
4)
It supports lifelong readers!
§
We create an unconscious delight in regards to
reading!
§
It can be created with series reading or serial
reading.
§
Serial reading can be broken up by author or
genre.
§
Serial reading is a skill to teach students
which have them continue to investigate and read more books!
§
Reading autobiographically encourages readers to
find a book that relates to their lives.
§
We need to show readers a book of themselves!
§
Reading for vicarious experiences, this is the
window allowing us a view into different ways of lives.
§
Reading for philosophical speculations, allows
students to form their own opinions on big issues in their lives and society.
§
This allows them to develop feelings on a
subject, and to answer big questions about themselves.
§
We can read for aesthetic experiences, which
allow us to pursue our passion for reading purely for our own enjoyment!
5)
It develops the imagination!
§
Reading often sparks the question; what would
happen if?
§
Popular inventions were created, when inventors
asked themselves; what would happen if?
6)
It can transmit culture!
§
We must first ask ourselves; whose culture?
§
We want to transmit many cultures, and expose
children to multiple cultures, especially all throughout the year.
§
They need to be a part of the collection, and
discussed throughout the year.
Reflection:
We all are aware of the importance of reading, and the
impact it can have on our lives. As avid
readers, we often want to share our passion for reading with those around us,
and after watching the video and reviewing the PowerPoint it became very
apparent the effect it can have. I’ve
seen the posters around school and those shared on Facebook that share how 20
minutes, 10 minutes, or no reading at all and the influence it can have on a
child. Once I reflected on the amount of
time I spent reading all throughout school and the amount of time my fellow
peers did, I had a clearer image on how it impacts our vocabulary development. Reading is beneficial in numerous ways, such
as simply for fun, enhancing language acquisition and development, developing
empathy, supporting lifelong readers, developing the imagination, and transmitting
culture. I’m a firm believer that
reading needs to start at home at a very young age, preferably birth. Within education though we know this is often
a dream we have for our students, and not usually a reality that they have
growing up. It’s up to us once they are
in our classroom and library to foster a love of reading within them, and show
them the magic of books! I taught 7th
Grade Reading, and often witnessed students who had given up on reading or didn’t
believe that there could possibly be a book that would interest them. An area that I need to focus on is reading
more diverse books in order to be able to recommend them to patrons of the
library. I can’t wait to have more time
to devote to helping children find a book that gets them hooked on
reading! I thoroughly enjoyed John Green’s
video and all of his tidbits on popular books, and could see myself showing it
to students to get them interested in books!
Chapter 1 Links:
Chapter
2: Divisions of Young People’s
Literature
§
Children’s Literature: 0-8 year olds
o
Wordless Picture Books
o
Picture Books
o
Easy Readers
o
Illustrated Chapter Books
o
Early Chapter Books
o
Upper Range:
Novels
§
Middle Grade/Tween: 8-12 year olds
o
Graphic Novels
o
Novels
o
Middle grade often gets confused with middle
school.
§
Young Adult:
13-18 year olds
o
Must look at the topic/subject when recommending
books to students.
o
Make sure the book is appropriate for the
audience.
§
New Adult:
18-30 year olds
o
A new category that was created in 2009 with a
writing contest.
o
Protagonists are geared towards an adult
audience, but still written similar to YA.
o
Usually college experiences, leaving home, or
first major relationship; dealing with adult issues.
Reflection:
While teaching school there were countless times when I struggled
to find a book that would interest students.
I especially had a hard time when it came time to help boys find a book,
since I don’t typically read the same type of book that most of them
enjoy. My partner teacher’s suggestion
was always Hatchet, which her own sons loved, but I need to expand my reading
in regards to science fiction, graphic novels, etc. Another aspect I need to keep in mind is the
difference between middle grade and middle school, and making sure the content
of a book is appropriate for the intended audience. I believe I’ll have a much easier time
suggesting books when it comes to young adult and new adult, since this is what
I typically read for enjoyment. I had
never heard of the division new adult, but as I reflect back I did start to
read more of these as I started college and continue to do so today. In order to be an effective librarian, I will
need to read and conduct research on middle grade books to best aid students in
finding the right book for them. I look
forward to branching out into new divisions and genres here in the future!
Chapter 2 Link:
Chapter
3: Anatomy of a Book
§
Endpapers
§
Casewrap
§
Book Block
§
Gutter
§
Headband
§
Backbone:
Commonly referred to as the spine.
Additional Book Vocabulary:
§
Mock-up
§
Format
§
Proof
§
Saddle Stitch
§
Fold & Gather
Reflection:
The only parts of the book that I knew about before reading
this article was a book jacket, which its proper name is casewrap, and the
spine of a book, which its proper name is backbone. The anatomy of a book was never taught to me
in school or even in college when I was getting my degree in education. As a result, this was never something that I
taught my students in class, and will now be one of the first lessons I teach
when students come to the library. The
librarian at my middle school did a fantastic job, and I’m really surprised she
never taught a lesson over the anatomy of a book. One of my favorite things to do when I get a
new hardcover book is to take the casewrap off, and to see that the backbone of
the book looks like. I always love when
they correlate to the book, and you can tell that they spent a lot of time on
the finished look of the book. I definitely
learned a lot in this chapter, and will be sharing my new knowledge to students
in the library soon!
Chapter 3 Link:
Chapter 4: Genres and Formats
Genres:
§
Fiction
§
Nonfiction
Everything else is a subgenre!
Fiction Subgenres:
§
Realism
o
Realistic:
Modern Contemporary
o
Historical
§
Fantasy
o
Modern
·
Hard Science Fiction
·
Soft Science Fiction
·
High Fantasy
·
Low Fantasy
o
Traditional
·
Folktale
· Fairy Tale
·
Myth
·
Legend
·
Ballad
·
Fable
Nonfiction Subgenres:
§
Informational
o
Biography
o
Autobiography
o
Memoir
o
Narrative Nonfiction
o
Expository Nonfiction
Subject/Categories:
NOT GENRES!
§
Chick Lit
§
Mystery
§
Guy Reads
§
Horror
§
Sports Fiction
§
Action/Adventure
§
Paranormal
§
War
§
Classics
§
Humor
§
Dystopia
Formats:
§
Poetry
§
Drama
§
Novels
§
Chapter Books
§
Short Stories
§
Picture Books
§
Graphic Novels
Reflection:
When I was teaching, one of my favorite lessons was teaching
different types of fiction and nonfiction.
Students are familiar with nonfiction and fiction, so we would do a
short recap of their background knowledge and then we would begin the
discussion of subgenres. We would focus
on science fiction, realistic fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy in
regards to fiction subgenres, and autobiography, biography, memoir, and
expository for nonfiction subgenres. I
loved this lesson because it exposed my students to the wide range of books
available, usually piqued their interest, and gave them an idea of what to look
for the next time we went to the library.
We would end the lesson with a book walk where students would have to
investigate the book in order to categorize it into the correct subgenre. Often times students would want to check out
a book they had looked at in the book walk from my classroom library. I thoroughly enjoyed the part of the video
where Dr. Perry broke down books into genres, subgenres, and format. This is something I would want to share with
my fellow teachers, and incorporate into a lesson in the library! I’m not a fan of generifying a library,
because I believe it discourages students from reading a variety of genres and
formats. We don’t want to display
romance books as just for girls, and science fiction or sports books as just
for boys. As the video states, books can
fall into multiple categories, and we don’t want to typecast a book as only one
category. This chapter has made me
really start to think how I will set my library up in the future!
Chapter 4 Link:
Chapter 5: What is YA Literature?
1)
Youthful Protagonist
2)
Adolescent’s Point of View
3)
Direct Confrontation
4)
Significant Life Change for Main Character(s)
5)
Protagonist is Very Independent
6)
Incomplete Growth in the Main Character(s)
7)
Contemporary Issues
8)
Main Character(s) Reap Their Consequences
9)
Structural Convention
10)
Adolescent Development
Reflection:
Young adult novels always follow a certain criteria, and
after reading this chapter it became very evident to me. I typically read YA, and as I reflect they
mainly all have these components. They’re
written from the adolescent’s point of view, they encounter an obstacle in
life, often times they don’t feel that anyone can relate or they deal with the
issue on their own, there’s usually a fallback for a choice they make, and by
the end of the novel they’ve experienced a change within themselves. These components of YA are the reason why I
love this division of literature! I’m so
grateful for all the YA novels that I could relate to and made my adolescent
life much more bearable. This is my absolute
favorite type of literature to share with others!
Chapter 5 Link:
Comments
Post a Comment