Blogs & Blog Readers
Blogs and Blog Readers
Feed
readers are a new concept that I was just introduced to and seem to be an asset
to have. They allow easy access to your
favorite sites and social media platforms, free up your time with only one
login, and organize the information to stay up to date on the latest news and
trends. This is a great resource that I
am eager to start using!
Originally
Google Readers was the feed reader everyone used but once they no longer
supported their platform users switched to Digg Reader who unfortunately was
discontinued as well. Nowadays there are
several feed readers to choose from that can meet any user’s specific
needs. After browsing and learning more
about the many feed readers to choose from I went with Feedly. A few of the perks is that it is free to use,
can be used on various devices, and can be synced with my Google account. Feedly was easy to get started with and right
away I was able to find blogs that intrigued me. The blogs I chose to follow were quickly
organized and the feed appearance is very similar to email. The article title and blog author are shown
that allows me to easily scroll through to see what I would like to learn more
about. I chose Feedly but there are
several to choose from and you should access them to choose one based on your
needs. Other feed readers to check out
are NewsBlur, Inoreader, The Old Reader, Bloglovin’, Netvibes, FlowReader,
FeedReader, Feeder, and Selfoss.
Feedly Top Five Blogs/Tumblr Accounts to Check Out
1) The Daring Librarian
https://www.thedaringlibrarian.com/
I was immediately intrigued with the
appearance of Gwyneth Jones’ blog and her attention grabbing features. Ms. Jones is a very influential blogger who
has served on the ISTE Board of Directors twice, been featured in prominent
magazines, and has even been named a Visionary Leader by Teacher Librarian
Magazine. I loved that she shares a
passion for middle school just like I do, and that her blog has several ideas I
would love to try out!
2) LITA Blog – (Library and Information Technology Association)
LITA Blog focuses on technology and how it
can be beneficial in the library, especially in today’s day and age. I think this will be a great blog to check
out this semester to stay up to date on the latest trends in education
technology. They have an active twitter
account and an e-Forum discussion that readers can subscribe to.
3) Knowledge Quest – Journal of the American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
https://knowledgequest.aasl.org/
Since I started taking LSSL classes I’ve always
used AASL resources. I believe this blog
is essential to stay up to date on the latest and greatest in the literary
world, especially how it affects library media specialists. Highly recommend this blog for LSSL students and new school librarians!
4) Round Lake Library Youth Services
https://rlaplibrary.tumblr.com/
This is a Tumblr account that I found that
is updated on a regular basis. I liked
the organized clean look of it and that it had information on current topics
such as COVID-19. The Round Lake
librarians also post about hour of code, exposing students to all cultures, and
several articles to encourage parents to read with their children at home. This account is a great resource for school
librarians!
5) Archivlibrarianist
https://archivlibrarianist.tumblr.com/
Archivlibrarianist is another Tumblr
account that piqued my interest. It has
the look and feel of a newspaper and is posted on regularly. There are several articles that are relevant
and beneficial to librarians and links are easily accessible to the full text
articles. A few that caught my attention
were about digitization and how to tackle going back into the library with CDC
guidelines.
Feel free to check out my Tumblr account for a glimpse into a few of my favorite books, authors, quotes, interviews, and personal book reviews!
I was interested in the fact that there was a Google reader. I have never heard of it or Digg Feeder either. I also like the search features in Feedly and the organization tools were very simple to maneuver. I am also new to Tumblr and I will try to look up your feed.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! Blog readers are also new to me, I had not heard of them prior to this assignment and I'm glad I did, I can see how useful they are. I too wonder why the Google Reader was discontinued, everything seems to be Google driven now a days. Tumblr was also new to me but I did enjoy creating an account and I know that many of my students use it too.
ReplyDelete