Infographics

INFOGRAPHICS

Which one works best for you?

 

Easel.ly

               Easelly allows users to create an account with an email, Facebook, or Google account.  It’s nice to have options and not be restricted to just signing up with an email.  After setting up an account it immediately takes you to their homepage to start designing an infographic.  There are several templates to choose from or you can start with a blank template.  Easelly provides several examples to give you an idea of what you can create. 

               Once you either choose a template or start with a blank one you are brought to a page that allows you to start customizing.  You can add objects, media, lines, texts, charts, etc. to enhance your infographic.  Unless you choose a blank template your template will have pre-populated information that you simply click on to change to your information.  It’s easy to catch on to drag and drop methods of Easelly and should have an ease of use for all users.

               One downfall of Easelly is that you are limited with the templates, backgrounds, and extras that you have access to.  The backgrounds that are included with the free account are pre-made and don’t allow for many alterations to be made.  If you are on the creative side you might find that Easelly restricts you.  On the other hand it can be great for those just starting out with infographics and allows them to work with the basics. 

Overall Rating:  Second


Free vs. Pro Account:


Piktochart

               Piktochart allows users to set up an account with email, Facebook, or Google account too.  Once again I enjoy having that option to choose how I want to get started.  Once you set up your account it allows you to give background information that will allow them to create tips and templates customized for you.  This is a great addition and I was able to state that I’m a librarian and my organization size. 


               Piktochart sends you an email to confirm your account and from there you’re sent to the home page.  Very similar to Easelly in that you can choose either a blank or pre-populated template that you can edit.  I chose a blank template to see what options would be available when starting from scratch.  I suggest taking advantage of the step-by-step information guide and video tutorials provided by Piktochart.  This was a huge help as I figured out the features of Piktochart.  You have the ability to add in text, change color schemes, choose from a variety of backgrounds, add graphics, and even upload your own items.  Very similar to the set up and features on Easelly except for the location of the bar of tools.

               The basic free package allows you to create five visuals and pro package is unlimited.  Piktochart is more expensive to upgrade which is something to keep in mind.  It might not be the best fit to use in a school setting.  Although I personally preferred it and chose to create my infographic using Piktochart. 

Overall Rating:  First

Free vs. Pro Account:


Infogram


               Infogram provides the same option to set up an account with email, Facebook, or Google account.  This allows the user freedom to decide how to set up their account.  Once you set up an account you are able to personalize it a bit, I was able to state that I work at a school/university and am an educator.  It then takes you to choose which account you would like and I stuck with the basic, free account.  Infogram allows you to create reports, Facebook and Instagram posts, single charts, dashboards, and what were focused on; infographics. 

               With the basic, free account you are limited in the amount of template and features to choose from.  Easelly definitely had more to choose from with their free account.  Of course you always have the option to start out with a blank template.  In order to get a feel for the setup of Infogram I chose a timeline template to see how I could customize it with my own information.  I was able to add or edit text, charts, graphics, elements, maps, and even imbed links in the infographic.  Layout is pretty much the same as the other two and the bar of tools is located on the left.  One drawback of Infogram is that you have to upgrade in order to have the option of a private feature. 

Overall Rating: Third

Free vs. Pro Account:


My Infographic



** Please feel free to click the link to see a better view of my infographic!**






Comments

  1. Hi! I also chose Piktochart for my infographic. I did notice the expensive pricing for the pro upgrade, which is definitely something I need to consider if I want to continue using it in the future. However, I chose it over the others because it was super user-friendly and within the available templates, there were some pretty good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, liked Piktochart. It was easy to navigate through and provided a lot of options. Your infographic could be very beneficial to teachers, parents, and students. Having these visuals make it easy to cull through the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you mentioned privacy in your critique! That was a factor for me as well when selecting a site to create an infographic. We don't necessarily want what we create to be public, and even more so for our students. Piktochart was my ultimate choice as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my first time creating an infographic, and it was a learning experience. I like the idea of using Piktochart, but I will need to continue practicing to get more familiarized with the program. Your infographic was very informative. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LSSL 5360: Module 1 -- Picture Books

Textbook Reflections: 1-5

LSSL 5360: Module 1 -- Picture Books