Podcasts
Podcasts
Recently I’ve become a huge fan of
podcasts! I first started listening to
them when Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey from The Office started their show
The Office Ladies. I absolutely love it
and from there I’ve branched off to listening to other podcasts that are
aligned with my interests. Podcasts have
become the perfect thing for long car rides and I can’t get enough of them
these days!
There are several options when it
comes to creating your own podcast. I
chose to take a closer look at Podbean, Anchor, and SoundCloud. Each one has their own pros and cons and I’d
love to share my opinion with ya’ll!
Podbean
Podbean is
the podcast hosting service that I’ve used for past assignments. It is definitely great for beginners and
those just starting to dip their toes into podcasts. It’s been great for introducing me to the
basics of podcasts; the recording, loading, and publishing is easy and quick to
create and share. The only drawback
would be is that there isn’t an option to edit within Podbean. It’s great and simple to record, upload, and
post but you would have to do any editing beforehand. The basic, free account is great but if you
want additional features there a few different options to choose from. There is unlimited audio for $9/month, unlimited
plus for $29/month, and business for $99/month.
Overall Podbean is my recommendation for anyone just getting started
with podcasts and it has always served me well.
Rating: Second
Anchor
Anchor is
the podcast hosting service that my group members recommended and is the one we
posted our podcast on. I was intrigued
to try it out since they both told me this is their favorite platform to
use. Right from the start I loved the
layout of Anchor. I was able to create a
quick trailer for my podcast that will be saved and is easy to attach to all
future podcasts. I created a logo for my
podcast in just a few minutes and choose a category too. There are several ways to create your
podcast; you can record it on the app or choose an audio file from your
library. You’re able to edit within the
app and can include interludes, sounds, songs, and even voice messages. The best part is that all features are
free! Anchor quickly became my new
favorite podcast hosting service and I can’t wait to get started creating
podcasts on this platform!
Rating: First
SoundCloud
I tried out
SoundCloud and soon realized it wasn’t the direction I wanted to head when
creating podcasts. Right off the bat you
can tell that the focus is on music streaming, especially when I was asked to
choose what genres I was interested in and playlists were suggested. On the homepage there isn’t really any
mention of podcasts and you have to go to your profile to begin recording and
posting a podcast. Unlike Anchor,
SoundCloud isn’t entirely free and has limited options with editing unless you
choose to upgrade your account. The
prices aren’t outrageous if you did want to bump up your package; SoundCloud
Pro is $6/month and SoundCloud Pro Unlimited is $12/month. Overall though I wouldn’t recommend
SoundCloud, especially to anyone just starting to create podcasts.
Rating: Third
Our Podcast
My group
chose to create our podcast using Anchor.
The episode covers three fixtures in the library world; Doug Johnson,
Joyce Valenza, and Pura Belpre . The different segments were recorded by Andrew
Chambers, Ashley Ramirez, and me.
Click this link to listen to our podcast!
Podcasts in the Library
o
Create
a podcast to share tips and tricks about digital technology apps with faculty!
o
Create
a podcast club with students
§ Share and discuss podcasts
§ Encourage students to create their
own podcasts
§ Create a podcast where students give
book recommendations/reviews
o
Record
podcasts about:
§ Reference resources in the library
§ How to use library databases (step by
step instructions that students can easily follow along to)
§ Books you’ve recently read
§ Ways to improve reading and literacy
skills
Educational Podcasts to Check Out!
o
Hey
YA
o
The
Librarian’s Guide to Teaching
o
The
Librarian Influencers Podcast
o
Don’t
Judge a Book by Its Cover: A Podcast for
Future Ready Librarians
o
Cyberpunk
Librarian
o
School
Librarians United
Middle School Podcasts:
o
Tumble
o
But
Why: A Podcast for Curious Kids
o
Youth
Radio
o
Stuff
You Should Know
o
Flyest
Fables
o
Welcome
to Night Vale
o
Eleanor
Amplified
Hi Hailey,
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of creating podcasts to talk about what books you've read. It'd be a great channel for students to listen to: Book Talks or Book Suggestions or Librarian Recs. Or students can create their own book rec channel!
I've never heard of Anchor before, but I enjoyed reading your description of it so I have to check it out. I loved your idea of creating podcasts to share technology tips with teachers and recording podcasts to improve literacy skills. Your blog post was very informative!
ReplyDelete