Universal Design for Learning
Universal Design for Learning
Universal
Design for Learning boils down to creating curriculum that supports and challenges
ALL students. We must realize that
students learn in a variety of ways and should be given choices when it comes
time to show that they comprehend the material.
As educators we need to design flexible curriculum that benefits ALL
learners, such as kinesthetic, audio, and visual. UDL can seem like a daunting task but it is
what’s truly best for students!
Which of
these guidelines am I already using?
I currently use
guideline 8.3, “foster collaboration and community.” I’m a big fan of cooperative learning and it’s
become a big part of my teaching practice.
My students are always sitting in groups of four which makes it easy to
incorporate partner and group work into lessons. Each time I assign group work there are
specific job roles for each member and we go over the expectations of group
work as a class before they begin the assignment. I encourage students to problem solve and
think critically together and I’m always amazed with the results I get.
Another
guideline I’m already using is guideline 3.1, “to activate or supply background
knowledge.” I heard about activating
student’s background knowledge in my very first education class and I’ve
continued to hear about it in classes and trainings ever since. This is a critical piece of teaching that
must be done. We always must first see
what student’s know about a concept or topic in order to further build upon
it. This is the first step in my
teaching practice when teaching students a new concept.
Which of
these could I add right now to my
teaching practice?
I believe
that I could incorporate into my teaching practice the guideline 7.1, “optimize
individual choice and autonomy.” A big
part of UDL is providing students with choice and I believe I could implement
this right now. I dabbled with choice
boards when I was student teaching and there are so many more resources now
that I could check out. We need to
challenge students and letting a student choose how to display their learning
is a great way to do it. I believe this
would be a great addition to my teaching practice, especially now with virtual
learning.
Another guideline
that I could implement would be guideline 5.1, “to use multiple media for
communication.” After taking LSSL 5391 I
feel I am more than prepared to start incorporating digital technology into my
curriculum and further challenge students.
There are various ways I could communicate with students visually and auditory. For visual instructions I could use
infographics, Canva, or cartoons. For
auditory instructions I could use YouTube, Podbean, Anchor, or Animoto. I look forward to using what I’ve learned
this semester in my teaching practices this year!
Which of
these looks great, but I might need some help to implement?
If I were to
implement guideline 5.3, “to build fluencies with graduated levels of support
for practice and performance” I would need guidance on how to differentiate
lessons and scaffold activities for the various types of learning styles. I would like to tackle this guideline with
the help of an instructional coach in order to better understand how to reach
ALL learners. This guideline is a big
part of UDL and I would definitely need some help to incorporate it into my
teaching practice.
Another
guideline I would like to start implementing in my teaching practice but will
need some help with is guideline 9.3, “to develop self-assessment and
reflection.” When it comes to group work
and larger assignments I don’t feel as if I have time in the lesson for
students to reflect on their learning.
This is an important concept and a tool that will be able to use their
entire life. As educators we know this
is true and that we are asked to self-access throughout the year. I need assistance building this guideline
into the wrap up of my lessons.
Resources
for Universal Design for Learning
o Click this link for a breakdown of UDL guidelines.
o Click this link to read an article from Knowledge Quest about UDL.
o Click this link to read about how choice boards are used to increase student engagement!
Videos that Explain UDL
References:
Lindsey
Daly on February 5, 2. (2019, February 06). How I Use Choice Boards to Increase
Student Engagement. Retrieved July 27, 2020, from
https://www.weareteachers.com/choice-boards/
Robinson,
D. E. (2017). Universal Design for Learning and School Libraries. Knowledge
Quest, 46(1), 56–61.
The UDL
Guidelines. (2018, August 31). Retrieved July 27, 2020, from
http://udlguidelines.cast.org/
Hi Hailey, I have also been using guidelines 8.3 and 3.1. I love having my students work in groups or partners to collaborate and learn from each other. The one I need help in is Guidelines 7 & 9. I will be looking for ideas and videos on what to do to make sure I use them in the library.
ReplyDeleteHi! I also have been implementing 3.1. Like you said, this was heavily stressed since my first education course. I believe it's important because it allows us educators to see what students' strengths and weaknesses are. Once we've observed those, then we can proceed with coming up with a plan that will best allow to students to reach success.
ReplyDeleteHi Hailey, I found your reflection on UDL to be very informative! I think this model is a great tool to use as we embark on becoming librarians. It is something that we can use as a checklist as we make lessons for our future students in the classroom and the library! The videos that your posted could even be used to show other educators who are unsure about the UDL guidelines, or as an introduction to a professional development course for teachers!
ReplyDeleteHi! I too like to use cooperative learning. It is a great way for students to collaborate and share ideas with each other especially if everyone in the group has a specific role to complete. It makes everyone responsible to share their knowledge with the other group members.
ReplyDeleteYour idea of using choice boards to increase engagement is something we can easily implement. Students love to have choice and show more ownership when they do. I like your intro, UDL is what's best for students! We must always keep that in mind when deciding how to structure their learning.
ReplyDelete