YouTube, Animoto, & QR Codes

Videos & QR Codes in the Library

YouTube

               YouTube is a fantastic tool to promote the library!  It’s a great way to provide information in fun, unique ways.  YouTube is very user friendly and allows you to share videos in variety of formats.  Here recently I’ve uploaded videos, screencasts, and a book trailer created on Animoto.  I look forward to creating more content for my YouTube channel in the months to come, especially with virtual learning!

               I checked out a few channels that were library focused and want to share what I found!

The NHS Library  

Most Helpful for Students:  


This video is beneficial to students because it introduces them to the basics of conducting research on the database, EBSCO Host.  All too often students simply copy and paste information because they are uninformed on how to find good, well cited information.  The screencast introduces students to the concept of searching on database with detailed, step by step instructions in order to find creditable information to embed in their assignments. 

Students Would Love:  


The librarian incorporates the school mascot in a fun way to show all that the library has to offer to students.  This is a great idea that I would love to do in my own library soon!  The video does drag on a little bit and I would create a few videos instead.  I would have videos pertaining to one concept such as checking out a book, searching on a database, and how to use the OPAC. 

The Unquiet Library  

Most Helpful for Students:  


This video instructs students on how to find images that either have a Creative Commons license or fall under copyright friendly umbrella.  Students need to know this information not only for their senior project, but for the rest of their academic career.  It’s important that they understand you not only give cite and give credit for words, but images too.  The video explains the four different types of images and what work you’re able to use. 

Students Would Love:  


The librarian is able to make the library mobile and take it to the students.  On her cart she has a few books that she would recommend and a student checks one out right away.  The aspect that I love and I think students will too is that they can return library books right then and there.  Often in junior high and high school the students are coming to the library on a regular basis and it can be hard to get books returned to the library.  This is a great idea that I’m going to have to steal!

Pikesville HS Library  

Most Helpful for Students: 


This video is an overview of all the things students have access to in the library.  Students check out books, have access to various technology, and the librarian does a lot of co-teaching.  You can tell that the library is utilized by students and staff, and there is an emphasis on cooperative learning.

Students Would Love:  


This video showcases fun aspects of the library, such as access to a Wii and parties held in there.  The library is very much the hub of the school, as you can tell by the various gatherings that take place.  It’s easy to tell that the library is a place that the students want to be!  This is what we all hope to emulate in our own libraries!

BBMS Media  

Most Helpful for Students:  


This video was short, to the point, and clearly stated the expectations of the librarian.  Often times we have to explain to staff and students how to properly care for items and this was an easy way to do so! 

Students Would Love:  


There are several overdue book parodies to choose from, but I chose my one of my favorite characters.  I loved how the librarian had so many to choose from and showcased the creativity of staff and students.  I would love to challenge students to create their own parody in my library.  It would be a great way to utilize digital technology and 21st century learning skills! 

 

How to Promote the Library Using YouTube Videos:

o   Screencasts

§  Library Webpage

§  How to use the OPAC

§  Conducting searches on databases

§  Citation Rules

§  Creative Commons

o   Book Trailers

o   Book Reviews

o   Library Promotion Video (could be with staff, students, school mascot)

o   Banned Books Week

o   National Library Week

o   Student Projects

o   Author Spotlights


Animoto

Animoto is a digital tool that I’ve never used and I was eager to check it out!  Right from the get go it was simple and easy to go.   I created my account, stated that I was using it for education purposes, and was given templates to choose from based on that.  I could’ve started from scratch but I decided to ease into it and chose a book report template.  I was able to edit and add my own images and text to create my book trailer. 

I’ll be in a junior high library this year so I chose one of my favorite young adult novels, The Selection by Kiera Cass.  I chose this book because it was always popular with my students when I was teaching and I thought it would be great to introduce the book to students in a fun, innovative way!

The Selection by Kiera Cass

 

Goodreads:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. 

Publisher’s Website:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape a rigid caste system, live in a palace, and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her, and competing for a crown she doesn’t want.

Then America meets Prince Maxon—and realizes that the life she’s always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Scan the QR Code to view my book trailer!



 

QR Codes

               The QR code was simple, and easy to create!  I simply found a free QR code generator, pasted the URL, and it was created in no time at all!  The possibilities are endless on how they can be utilized in the library!

Using QR Codes in the Library:

o   Book Trailers

o   Book Reviews

o   OPAC

o   Scavenger Hunts

o   Escape Rooms

o   Surveys/Library Polls

o   Online Resources

o   Databases

o   Leave questions for the librarian

o   Podcasts

o   Promote Events in the Library

o   Gallery Walks

 

One of my favorite librarians to follow, Gwyneth Jones, has great resources for QR Codes! Check out this link!



Comments

  1. First of all, I love your blog name! :) I also really enjoyed reading your list of ways QR codes can be used in school libraries. I especially like the idea of students or staff members scanning to leave questions for the librarian. These questions can be relevant to an exit ticket, readers advisory, a start of a reference interview, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a circular QR code. I tried it and saw that my square QR code reader worked! That was pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great ideas on how to use QR codes in the library. I will be trying some of your ideas in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some of the same suggestions for the videos on each Youtube channel - it's awesome to get to see great ideas that we can use for future library needs. I loved the Belle video for overdue library books - so much fun! Also, I loved your QR code! I've never seen them stylized before, and I am writing down flowcode so I can use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post and found your lists of ways to use each app very helpful. I also really like the look of your QR code. I found a site that allows for custom codes with logos and fun colors but it requires a subscription. I am curious to know if the code you created is a free resource.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hailey,
    I loved your input on how to promote the library using YouTube videos. You mentioned some great ideas such as screen casts explaining the library’s webpage, OPAC. And databases, as well as book trailers, book reviews, student projects, etc. I also like how you customized your QR code. I tried experimenting with mine, but I couldn’t get it to look exactly how I wanted. Thank you for your recommendation to follow Gweneth Jones and her resources for QR codes. I saved the link you shared :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LSSL 5360: Module 1 -- Picture Books

Textbook Reflections: 1-5

LSSL 5360: Module 1 -- Picture Books